Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Centrus Energy CEO sees U.S. military as new market for company’s enriched uranium (LEU:NYSE)

    August 21, 2026

    Things You Should Never Talk About at Work, From Etiquette Experts

    August 21, 2026

    Everpure in focus as Wedbush ups price target ahead of Q2 results (P:NYSE)

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Hot Paths
    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Money
    • Personal Finance
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Investing
    • Markets
      • Stocks
      • Futures & Commodities
      • Crypto
      • Forex
    • Technology
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Hot Paths
    Home»Business»Trump administration threatens to end consultancy contracts after ‘insulting’ proposals
    Business

    Trump administration threatens to end consultancy contracts after ‘insulting’ proposals

    Press RoomBy Press RoomApril 9, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Stay informed with free updates

    Simply sign up to the Accounting & Consulting services myFT Digest — delivered directly to your inbox.

    Donald Trump’s administration is threatening to terminate hundreds of billions of dollars’ worth of consulting contracts, after finding US firms’ proposals for savings to be “insulting”.

    In a letter being sent to 10 large consulting groups this week, a copy of which was seen by the Financial Times, the US government accuses the firms of “faulty reasoning, financial obfuscations and gamesmanship” in their discussions with the administration, and threatens to “recompete” long-standing deals.

    Firms including Accenture, Deloitte, IBM and Booz Allen Hamilton were asked last month to identify savings in a “consultant spend review” launched by the General Services Administration, which helps co-ordinate government procurement.

    While early submissions were deemed encouraging, “what started becoming very apparent was that this was a game of . . . financial sleight of hand,” said Josh Gruenbaum, the Trump-appointed commissioner of the Federal Acquisition Service, the GSA division overseeing the effort. “There was also a fair amount of finger pointing,” he told the FT on Wednesday.

    One firm initially identified only $10mn in savings, a GSA official said, and several proposed no “immediate termination opportunities” — prompting this week’s follow-up letter.

    “In good faith, and with high expectations, we offered firms the opportunity to join us in reducing wasteful spending and do their part in addressing the twin issues of the federal debt and deficit,” the letter, signed by Gruenbaum, reads. “The efforts to propose meaningful cost savings were wholly insufficient, to the point of being insulting.”

    Several firms had offered to cut back US government contracts, limit price rises and shift to performance-based fees. One group claimed the long-term savings could add up to $12bn in its case.

    But line items for “services” or “call centre support”, billed at tens of millions of dollars each, were left wholly untouched by some firms in the review, the official said.

    All 10 groups now face a 5pm April 18 deadline to identify more savings, restructure contracts to “outcome-based” or “shared-savings” models, and offer the federal government a “credit” for what the GSA deems to have been past excessive revenue. In particular, some firms reported a double-digit compound annual growth rate over the past four years, the official noted, an increase the person called “eye-popping”.

    The GSA will also expect no contract to “have a term longer than three years”, according to the letter.

    “Consulting firms that do not think creatively, lean into developing taxpayer-friendly pricing and provide dramatic cost reductions can expect to have their projects terminated and recompeted to competitors,” according to the letter.

    The agency could rely on “termination for convenience” clauses to do so, the GSA official said, and in some cases point to the lack of delivery of services paid for.

    But Gruenbaum also stressed there would be opportunities for firms that comply with the renewed requests. “There’s going to be one or two of these companies that get it right, and say, ‘we’re going do this correctly, and we’re going to make a trade on margin and on prohibitive pricing and be a trusted partner for government’, and they will be rewarded for that,” he said.

    Treasury secretary Scott Bessent singled out Booz Allen Hamilton in a podcast last month as one of the companies involved in “grift”, and predicted reducing government contractors would be one of the administration’s biggest savings.

    Booz Allen on Wednesday said it “welcomes the challenge to drive better value” for US taxpayers. “We are engaged in good faith in a much-needed process to assist the government in increasing efficiencies. We look forward to demonstrating our capabilities to the administration,” it added.

    Recommended

    US President Donald Trump

    The latest salvo in the Trump administration’s quarrel with the consultancies comes as Elon Musk’s so-called Department of Government Efficiency (Doge) — which is separate, but aligned with GSA — calls attention to what it sees as egregious spending on support services.

    In the past few days, Doge has claimed to have cancelled millions of dollars’ worth in contracts, including some for “global advisory and support services” for the Republic of Palau in the Micronesia region, for “aviation advisers in Kenya” and for “marketing consulting services outreach and engagement support services”.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Press Room

    Related Posts

    Rheinmetall investors to get bumper dividend from booming arms sales

    March 11, 2026

    How to fight deepfakes

    March 11, 2026

    Best Employers: UK

    March 11, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    LATEST NEWS

    Centrus Energy CEO sees U.S. military as new market for company’s enriched uranium (LEU:NYSE)

    August 21, 2026

    Things You Should Never Talk About at Work, From Etiquette Experts

    August 21, 2026

    Everpure in focus as Wedbush ups price target ahead of Q2 results (P:NYSE)

    August 21, 2026

    Tech Leaders Blame China for America’s Anti-AI Backlash

    August 21, 2026
    POPULAR
    Business

    The Business of Formula One

    May 27, 2023
    Business

    Weddings and divorce: the scourge of investment returns

    May 27, 2023
    Business

    How F1 found a secret fuel to accelerate media rights growth

    May 27, 2023
    Advertisement
    Load WordPress Sites in as fast as 37ms!

    Archives

    • August 2026
    • July 2026
    • June 2026
    • May 2026
    • April 2026
    • March 2026
    • February 2026
    • January 2026
    • December 2025
    • November 2025
    • October 2025
    • September 2025
    • August 2025
    • July 2025
    • June 2025
    • May 2025
    • April 2025
    • March 2025
    • February 2025
    • January 2025
    • December 2024
    • November 2024
    • April 2024
    • March 2024
    • February 2024
    • January 2024
    • December 2023
    • November 2023
    • October 2023
    • September 2023
    • May 2023

    Categories

    • Business
    • Crypto
    • Economy
    • Forex
    • Futures & Commodities
    • Investing
    • Market Data
    • Money
    • News
    • Personal Finance
    • Politics
    • Stocks
    • Technology

    Your source for the serious news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a news site. Visit our main page for more demos.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Home
    • Buy Now
    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.