Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Venezuela hits roadblock in exporting more oil, as ports can’t keep up with demand – report

    August 23, 2026

    Why Does the US Have so Many Recalls and Outbreaks This Summer?

    August 23, 2026

    How to Make Sausage and Tortellini Soup Recipe: Step-by-Step, Photos

    August 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Hot Paths
    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Money
    • Personal Finance
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Investing
    • Markets
      • Stocks
      • Futures & Commodities
      • Crypto
      • Forex
    • Technology
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Hot Paths
    Home»Business»Nissan searches for new partner as $58bn Honda merger talks collapse
    Business

    Nissan searches for new partner as $58bn Honda merger talks collapse

    Press RoomBy Press RoomFebruary 6, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

    Roula Khalaf, Editor of the FT, selects her favourite stories in this weekly newsletter.

    Nissan has begun searching for a strategic partner in the tech industry after its chief executive Makoto Uchida told his Honda counterpart that he was ending merger talks to create the world’s fourth-largest carmaker.

    The search for new partners would be broad and outside the automotive industry, according to two people with direct knowledge of the matter.

    Some board members are also open to considering a partnership with Taiwanese iPhone contract manufacturer Foxconn. The Apple supplier approached alliance partner Renault about acquiring part of its stake in Nissan late last year, triggering the frantic but fleeting round of merger negotiations with Honda.

    Uchida met Honda chief Toshihiro Mibe on Thursday morning to inform him of the board’s intention to disband talks announced in December to combine as a company with a market capitalisation of about $58bn, according to people familiar with the matter.

    The talks fell apart after Honda demanded at the weekend that Nissan accept a new offer to become a fully owned subsidiary, deviating from the initially agreed structure of a joint holding company.

    On Wednesday, Nissan’s board meeting decided it would quit the merger talks since Honda had told them the new offer was “take it or leave it”, which they could not accept for fear of losing decision-making power and their brand being weakened under Honda management.

    Nissan and Honda declined to comment. The two companies are set to report earnings next Thursday, when they are expected to announce publicly that the talks have terminated and explain why.

    Recommended

    A worker on the production line at the Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai, India

    After launching formal talks with Honda, the discussions soon descended into an embittered fight, with Honda accusing Nissan of moving too slowly on its restructuring plan and Nissan claiming Honda’s new offer blindsided it.

    Analysts were sceptical of the union from the start because of the gulf in their corporate cultures — Nissan proud of its engineering talent and Honda with a long record of going it alone.

    France’s Renault had been offloading its 36 per cent shareholding in Nissan following a restructuring of their 25-year alliance in 2023.

    The collapse of the takeover talks leaves the door open for Foxconn to reignite its ambitions to take Renault’s stake in Nissan as a platform to expand its electric vehicle unit.

    Jun Seki, chief strategy officer for Foxconn’s EV division, knows Nissan well after formerly serving as its number-three executive until the end of 2019.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Press Room

    Related Posts

    Rheinmetall investors to get bumper dividend from booming arms sales

    March 11, 2026

    How to fight deepfakes

    March 11, 2026

    Best Employers: UK

    March 11, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    LATEST NEWS

    Venezuela hits roadblock in exporting more oil, as ports can’t keep up with demand – report

    August 23, 2026

    Why Does the US Have so Many Recalls and Outbreaks This Summer?

    August 23, 2026

    How to Make Sausage and Tortellini Soup Recipe: Step-by-Step, Photos

    August 22, 2026

    SA Asks: What are the most promising oncology companies right now?

    August 22, 2026
    POPULAR
    Business

    The Business of Formula One

    May 27, 2023
    Business

    Weddings and divorce: the scourge of investment returns

    May 27, 2023
    Business

    How F1 found a secret fuel to accelerate media rights growth

    May 27, 2023
    Advertisement
    Load WordPress Sites in as fast as 37ms!

    Archives

    • August 2026
    • July 2026
    • June 2026
    • May 2026
    • April 2026
    • March 2026
    • February 2026
    • January 2026
    • December 2025
    • November 2025
    • October 2025
    • September 2025
    • August 2025
    • July 2025
    • June 2025
    • May 2025
    • April 2025
    • March 2025
    • February 2025
    • January 2025
    • December 2024
    • November 2024
    • April 2024
    • March 2024
    • February 2024
    • January 2024
    • December 2023
    • November 2023
    • October 2023
    • September 2023
    • May 2023

    Categories

    • Business
    • Crypto
    • Economy
    • Forex
    • Futures & Commodities
    • Investing
    • Market Data
    • Money
    • News
    • Personal Finance
    • Politics
    • Stocks
    • Technology

    Your source for the serious news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a news site. Visit our main page for more demos.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Home
    • Buy Now
    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.