Close Menu
    What's Hot

    The six stocks both hedge funds and mutual funds love – Goldman

    August 23, 2026

    I Never Wanted Kids, but Then My Brother Had Twins; Made Me Question

    August 23, 2026

    Steve Hanke Says He’s an ‘Old Fox’ Who Can Sniff Out Students Using AI

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Hot Paths
    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Money
    • Personal Finance
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Investing
    • Markets
      • Stocks
      • Futures & Commodities
      • Crypto
      • Forex
    • Technology
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Hot Paths
    Home»Money»Judge Blocks Trump, Musk’s Shutdown of USAID
    Money

    Judge Blocks Trump, Musk’s Shutdown of USAID

    Press RoomBy Press RoomFebruary 7, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
    • A federal judge blocked Trump’s attempt to dismantle the US Agency for International Development.
    • The Friday ruling followed a lawsuit by government employee unions against USAID cuts.
    • USAID spent $32.5 billion in 2024 on global humanitarian aid.

    A federal judge has partially blocked the Trump administration’s attempt to dismantle the US Agency for International Development.

    Judge Carl Nichols said Friday he would temporarily block the Trump administration from placing 2,200 USAID employees on paid leave, the Associated Press reported.

    The workers, some of which are based overseas, were set to be placed on leave Friday just before midnight.

    The ruling comes one day after the American Federation of Government Employees and the American Foreign Service Association filed a lawsuit against the administration’s cuts to USAID.

    “These actions have generated a global humanitarian crisis by abruptly halting the crucial work of USAID employees, grantees, and contractors. They have cost thousands of American jobs. And they have imperiled US national security interests,” their lawyers wrote.

    The lawsuit, which was filed on Thursday, named President Donald Trump, State Secretary Marco Rubio, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, the State Department, the Treasury Department, and USAID as defendants.

    “Not a single one of defendants’ actions to dismantle USAID were taken pursuant to congressional authorization. And pursuant to federal statute, Congress is the only entity that may lawfully dismantle the agency,” the lawsuit argued.

    The humanitarian aid agency has been under fire since Trump took office. Elon Musk said in an X post on Monday that he “spent the weekend feeding USAID into the wood chipper.”

    On Tuesday, USAID said nearly all staff would be placed on administrative leave starting on February 7 at midnight. The announcement came just a day after the agency shut down its headquarters on Monday and told staff to work remotely.

    “With regards to the USAID stuff, I went over it in detail, and he agreed that we should shut it down,” Musk said of a conversation he had with President Donald Trump during an X Spaces conversation on Monday.

    Established in 1961 by then-President John F. Kennedy, USAID oversees the US’s aid programs around the world.

    The agency spent nearly $32.5 billion in fiscal year 2024, channeling aid to countries like Ukraine, Jordan, and Ethiopia. The US is the world’s largest provider of humanitarian aid.

    The turmoil surrounding USAID takes place amid a wider upending of the federal bureaucracy during Trump’s second term, with the federal judiciary increasingly stepping in.

    Last month, the Trump administration gave federal employees from January 28 to February 6 to accept a buyout offer and resign from their jobs, but a judge extended the deadline to Monday.

    The Trump administration’s freeze on federal grants and loans was announced on January 28 and rolled by within days, with a federal judge issuing a restraining order on January 31.

    A federal judge also issued an injunction against Trump’s exeuctive orders on ending birthright citizenship, calling them “flatly unconstitutional.”

    A spokesperson for the Office of Personnel Management, which oversees the federal workforce, said on Thursday that over 40,000 employees have accepted the offer. The federal government employs more than 2 million people.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Press Room

    Related Posts

    I Never Wanted Kids, but Then My Brother Had Twins; Made Me Question

    August 23, 2026

    Steve Hanke Says He’s an ‘Old Fox’ Who Can Sniff Out Students Using AI

    August 23, 2026

    My Grandfather Left Me Money. I Used It to Buy a Car After 3 Years.

    August 23, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    LATEST NEWS

    The six stocks both hedge funds and mutual funds love – Goldman

    August 23, 2026

    I Never Wanted Kids, but Then My Brother Had Twins; Made Me Question

    August 23, 2026

    Steve Hanke Says He’s an ‘Old Fox’ Who Can Sniff Out Students Using AI

    August 23, 2026

    Google Gemini AI Predicts Ethereum Could Become the Trade Retail Misses in 2026

    August 23, 2026
    POPULAR
    Business

    The Business of Formula One

    May 27, 2023
    Business

    Weddings and divorce: the scourge of investment returns

    May 27, 2023
    Business

    How F1 found a secret fuel to accelerate media rights growth

    May 27, 2023
    Advertisement
    Load WordPress Sites in as fast as 37ms!

    Archives

    • August 2026
    • July 2026
    • June 2026
    • May 2026
    • April 2026
    • March 2026
    • February 2026
    • January 2026
    • December 2025
    • November 2025
    • October 2025
    • September 2025
    • August 2025
    • July 2025
    • June 2025
    • May 2025
    • April 2025
    • March 2025
    • February 2025
    • January 2025
    • December 2024
    • November 2024
    • April 2024
    • March 2024
    • February 2024
    • January 2024
    • December 2023
    • November 2023
    • October 2023
    • September 2023
    • May 2023

    Categories

    • Business
    • Crypto
    • Economy
    • Forex
    • Futures & Commodities
    • Investing
    • Market Data
    • Money
    • News
    • Personal Finance
    • Politics
    • Stocks
    • Technology

    Your source for the serious news. This demo is crafted specifically to exhibit the use of the theme as a news site. Visit our main page for more demos.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Home
    • Buy Now
    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.